Friday, July 9, 2010

HOME!

Ahh, it's lovely to be home. We had a fabulous 3 weeks away, so wonderful to visit and catch up with our family and friends in Brisbane and Sydney. Oh but I do love being back in my own bed!

We had many highlights while we were away, visiting Dreamworld with all the cousins, attending the Grandparents combined 70th birthday, attending my niece's 2nd birthday, a day trip to Sydney, etc, etc. But for me, a most exciting highlight was the chance to visit Material Obsession in Sydney and to meet the wonderful Kathy Doughty. Oh Wow, what a shop, I only wish I lived nearby.
 Liesle & Kathy
Kathy is such an exuberant, talented, fun lady who made me feel very welcome the minute I walked in the door (check out the blog post she did in my honour, blush, blush!). The lovely Liesle was on staff that day, she has the most amazing scarfs and I loved her skirt!
Liesle, Me, Kathy
It was my lucky day to visit, the talented Brigitte Giblin was teaching a class and gave me a personal show and tell of her amazing quilts. Each quilt has a story and I could have listened to her for hours.
 Brigitte Giblin and one of her many gorgeous quilts
Brigitte now has a website where you can purchase some of her beauties, she will be adding more quilt patterns to it as she gets them written up. I have already purchased her gorgeous Little Hexagon Purse Pattern and found her website very easy to use.

Ok, so I couldn't visit such a glorious shop without a purchase or two now could I? But how do you choose, it was like being in a candy shop, so much colour and temptation everywhere. After much deliberation, I ended up with these gorgeous fabrics....
Left to Right: 
1. Alexander Henry 'Bauhaus'
2. Rawhide by Moda
3. Liberty Marylebone by Kaffe for Rowan
4. Radiation by Kaffe
5. Verna by Kate Spain for Moda
6. Freebird by MoMo for Moda.  


As well as this divine kit....
Tokyo Rose is a pattern that has been catching my eye for a long time, so I couldn't resist it in kit form. Kathy has many wonderful kits in her shop, most of them you can find on her website. She is selling this pattern in dolly quilt size too and that one is gorgeous all done up in Kaffe fabrics.  

Also purchased this...
Many more half square triangles will be made around here, and this little tool from Creative Grids will make the process much quicker. Kathy gave me some templates for this gorgeous block, can't wait to play around with these, thank you Kathy!
Many of you know I am in the process of making the gorgeous Sue Ross blocks which are a block of the Month program from Material Obsession. While I was in the shop, Kathy showed me the finished quilt top....
 Kathy and the finished Sue Ross BOM quilt top in Contemporary colourway
Oh my, it is stunning, I am very inspired to get these blocks finished to make up this fabulous quilt (I'm making two though, so it might take me a little time yet!). 

I have come away from Kathy's shop having met some lovely friends, and feeling incredibly inspired to get back to creating again, and playing with colour and wonderful fabrics (after 3 weeks of no stitching, aarrgh!). Very soon I will show what I came home to (I had ordered a couple of things before I left, and won a couple of things while away).  But first, I'm off to our local Bargain Box fabric shop to pick up my serviced sewing machine!!! xo

 

26 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

pleased to hear your home safe and well...........looks like a wonderful visit to MO.....lots of lovely fabrics packed into the suit case too...........

Deb said...

Welcome home- saw you on the MO blog too Miss Superstar! What a great day to have dropped in - isn't Brigitte Giblin fabulous! Love your purchases. Did you get a workshop ticket? Glad you had such a great trip.

Andi said...

Welcome home Super-quilting-famous-type-person!!!
Enjoy your own bed (and sewing machine)!!
Andi :-)

Rae Ann said...

Cathy you are just darling standing there in that glorious shop with those wonderful women. That looks like a vacation that I would love! Fabulous!
I love all of the beautiful quilts that I saw on the MO blog. WOW! Stunning!
Your purchases are great a well. Can't wait to see what you are going to make with them.

Christine said...

Glad you had a wonderful trip and all is well, I so would like to visit Kathy's shop too, must do it next time I am in Sydney.

cheers
Christine

Rafael's Mum said...

Welcome home!! So lovely to see a bigger photo of you and what a fantastic trip! Thank you for sharing your visit to MO, how fantastic!! Catch up soon, love it all! xo

Kathie said...

welcome home!!!!
OH it sure sounds like you had a wonderful trip and getting to visit MO what a fun day that must have been. I love the quilt that Brigitte is holding in her hands is AMAZING does MO have a pattern for that?
beautiful.
love your fabric choices and thanks for sharing the pictures of the shop.
So much inspiration comes from Kathy and her staff I enjoy her blog so much.
love the Sue Ross BOM too!
Kathie

RED PEPPER QUILTS said...

Welcome home indeed! Sounds like you have had a wonderful holiday and love the pics from Material Obsession. I visited the (old) MO store as a (big)birthday present, and loved every second of being there.

Rita

Helen in Switzerland said...

So glad you had such a great vacation! Material obsession looks just too good to be true - I think I would think I'd died and gone to heaven if I made it to a shop like that!!! Dream come true! Wish we had something like that here!! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next! And I know exactly what you mean about it being soooo nice to sleep in your own bed again!!

Stephanie said...

There's no place like home (and your own bed). I think the visit to Material Obsession would be a vacation destination all by itself!!! The Sue Ross BOM is gorgeous.

Jackie said...

Yay!! You are home! I missed not having your blog posts and seeing all your creative energy. I am so excited for you that you were able to go to MO and then share it all with us. What wonderful quilts, fabric and friends. I bet you could have spent more than a day there. I am so looking forward to your new creations on your newly serviced sewing machine!!

Shelley said...

It's great to get away, but soooo good to come home! Glad you had a wonderful trip and had such a great experience at MO. Can't wait to see what you have won :) Happy sewing - my gosh, three weeks is a really long time without sewing!

alobsiger said...

Welcome home! I'm sure your trip was wonderful but, frankly, the highlight for me was your trip to MO. ;-) hee hee Say, that Kim McLean quilt you're cleverly posed in front of is gorgeous...as is everything else in the photos. ::sigh:: How exciting! What with Kathy's mention of Brigitte Giblin's new web site, I just now downloaded the Anna Brereton quilt pattern. I'll be keeping my eye on the site for new patterns. Hope your sewing machine has enjoyed its visit to the spa.

Miriam said...

Welcome home, Cathy!!!
Sounds like you have come back with lots of inspiration (and fabric!!) from Kathy's shop.
I hope you get lots of time to sew on your refreshed sewing machine.

wishes, true and kind said...

What a great post! I would love to visit Material Obsession one day! It would have been great to be there with you.

I find that finished Sue Ross quilt top inspiring, too. I just need to carve out some time somewhere....

Cardygirl said...

Glad you are safely home & that you had a wonderful holiday. Lots of inspiration from MO! Kathy said you were coming & I liked her blog about you! I am nearly at the setting triangle stage with the BOM.

Maree: said...

Oh Cathy what a Lovely Trip you had...and to Top it off at MO is Icing on the Cake...saw the pics on Mo's blog they are Lovely...Gorgeous Goodies from the shop & couldn't Imagine not coming away from their without Inspiration...And how Cool for you to meet Brigitte...
cheers

Julia said...

What a Lovely Trip you had Cathy...and meeting all those lovely inspirational girls would have been wonderful...Great fabrics..
Julia ♥

Nedra said...

I saw your visit over on MO's blog and I think they were as excited to see you as you were them. What a great combination you two make.
Looks like you had a wonderful trip.

Mama Spark said...

Wow!! What a time you had!! I would love to meet the women of MO. Lucky girl!!! I will be interested to see how you use your new gadgets too. Keep us posted.

Quilts on Bastings said...

Welcome home - and what a wonderful post! Looks like a fabulous shop with wonderful fabrics and quilts. Love your purchases.

West Michigan Quilter said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation. Love the pictures of the quilts. Thanks for the link, too. Great site.

Sarah said...

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip. It sounds like you packed A LOT in! I reckon the best part of going away is coming home.

Little red Jug said...

HI, I have been following your blog but never comented. I love your work and your enthusiasm for quilting. I am also a passionately obessed quilter. I am constanly inspired by MO, I am lucky to live close enough to visit kathy often. she is a wonderful ambassador for our passion. well done, great blog. I have just started blogging myself with the encouragement of kathy herself. Keep up the great work.

sewpam63 said...

It does feel good to be back home, doesn't it!? Lovely trip, Cathy!!! MO too?!?!?! How glorious, inspiring, colorful and DElightful!!! I am certain your sewing machine is GLAD to have you back. ; )

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

Well the time just flew by, didn't it?! I didn't even realize you were back! :D Sounds like you had an awesome trip!

That half square triangle ruler is the funkiest I've ever seen. I hope you'll show us how it works! And that hexagon block will be awesome! I can't wait to see what you'll do with it! ( Does my superfluous use of exclamation marks make me seem hyper? lol)