Friday, May 25, 2012

Bloggers Bom Block Nine - May

When I first received these gorgeous fabrics from our beautiful Bloggers Bom Host Jackie, they made me think of sparkling jewel stones...purple amethyst, yellow sapphire, pink diamonds, green emeralds.


I thought it was fitting to turn these lovely Kaffe fabrics into a jewel box block!


I have used all 6 fabrics in this block, using the grey aboriginal dot as the background fabric. The block is 8 1/2 inches unfinished.

Use a scant 1/4 inch seam for this block.

Creating A Jewel Box:

The four corners half square triangles
Cut one square 2 7/8 inches from each...stripe, purple, spot & green fabric.
Cut two squares 2 7/8 inches from grey aboriginal dot.
Cut all 6 squares in half diagonally. Set aside one triangle from each coloured squares (not grey). You will not use these.


With the remaining four coloured triangles, match them up with a grey triangle and sew scant 1/4 inch seam. Trim each of the four corner blocks to 2 1/2 inches. Iron seams towards the coloured triangles.


The centre half square triangles
Cut two squares 2 7/8 inches from yellow.
Cut two squares 2 7/8 inches from grey aboriginal dot.


Similarly to the corner blocks, cut all four squares in half diagonally. Match up each of the four yellow triangles with a grey triangle and sew scant 1/4 inch seam. Trim each of the four corner blocks to 2 1/2 inches. Iron seams towards yellow triangles.


Little jewel squares
Cut 1 1/2 inch squares...
4 purple, 4 stripe, 4 spot, 4 green
16 grey


Laying it all out!
Taking note of the arrangement in my photo, lay out your four corner half square triangles, four centre half square triangles and little jewel squares.


Sew together the top, sides and bottom little jewel square sets. Then sew the four centre half square triangles together. Iron seams flat (where possible iron alternate seams in opposite directions).


Next, sew into rows...top row, centre row and bottom row. Iron.


Now sew the three rows together. Iron seams flat and you are done!


Don't forget to add a photo of your jewel box block to the bloggers bom flickr group.

I have also sewn my jewel box using Keiko Goke fabrics, wow, very bright!


I hope you enjoy making this block as much as I did. Here are the links to the designers for each block in this bloggers bom series....

Next month is Pam from Pam Kitty Morning, I can't wait to see Pam's block on the 25th June.

Are you joining in? xo

21 comments:

Run Quilt Knit Write said...

Wow! I LOVE this block!!!

gi quilt said...

Great block! Really shows off all the fabrics well.

leanne said...

fabulous block - can't wait to get this one sewn - thanks :)

Donna~~ said...

Fabulous block--a real jewel box looking jewel box! :)

fiberchick said...

Beautiful block but what else could we expect from you?!!

Debbie J said...

Thanks for the great block for May. This is the first time I've made this block and it turned out great. Your tutorial was very good.

Mary said...

I've always loved this block. Thanks for the Tutorial. "Hurray" from Washington State- USA.

Bente-I like to QuiltBlog said...

thank you very much, the block looks great and your tutorial is so too ☺
Liebe Grüße
Bente

Cille said...

Wow... This will look great. I will have to get started right away. Thanks so much :)

Nedra said...

Oh, I am so happy you are the designer this month! I love your blocks and can hardly wait to get started!

Linda said...

Love it! Thanks

Hope said...

This looks wonderful. Just have to figure out how I want to combine my fabrics for it now :)

Miriam said...

A very pretty block, Cathy!

Vicki W said...

Excellent block! I'm off to make mine now.

Sharon Dawn said...

This is one of my favorite blocks so far! I am thinking it would be nice in a whole quilt as well!

What is the pattern in your pretty banner photo at the top of your blog? I love your colors!

Thanks,
Sharon
dexterdays-sdk.blogspot.com

Oops-Lah said...

Love it! My favorite of course is the one with the Keiko Goke fabrics. I've just been to one of my quilt shops which is now carrying some of those fabrics. Although I'm officially on a fabric diet, I wasn't strong enough and bought some. Your fault ;).

Maria said...

Great block. I am off to make it now.
Thanks Cathy

Rafael's Mum said...

That block surely does sparkle! great choice of fabrics Cathy!

fiberchick said...

Ok... Just finished mine and have to say that it was so much fun to make... Thank you!

Barb said...

those fabrics are just awesome...love your jewel box.

Cardygirl said...

Great block Cathy!